More About Us:
River Rangers helping a neigborhood child get into a canoe for a ride on the Woonasquatucket River in Providence.
Woonasquatucket River Greenway Manager
The Woonasquatucket River Watershed Council is seeking a Greenway Manager for a three season position. The Greenway Manager will oversee and train a staff of River Rangers and volunteer groups to maintain the parks and bike path along the 5.5 mile Woonasquatucket River Greenway, from Johnston to Providence.
The Woonasquatucket River Greenway is a 5.5 mile bike path that follows the river on-road and off-road from Providence to Johnston. The WRWC has worked to restore three urban parks along the Greenway — Merino Park, Donigian Park, and Riverside Mills Park. The River Ranger team will work with the Police Department, the Providence and Johnston Parks Department, the Providence Housing Authority, City and Town Council members, local organizations, businesses, churches, recreation centers, and community members to revitalize the parks, maintain the bike path, and educate and empower the watershed community.
- Develop a Greenway landscape management plan;
- Track daily progress for federal billing purposes;
- Train and supervise unskilled River Rangers for an 8-week summer program (age 16-24);
- Manage unskilled volunteers on large group projects;
- Develop an annual volunteer project plan;
- Maintain all equipment to a high level;
- Organize tool container, repair tools and equipment;
- Maintain the 5.5 mile Greenway and assist in maintenance of parks near bike path - including mowing, weeding, picking up litter, watering plants, sweeping, raking, moving mulch, weed whacking, tree pruning, fence repair, and graffiti removal.
- Supervise two skilled landscaping River Rangers;
- At least two years managerial experience;
- Four years landscaping experience;
- Experience managing projects and leading groups;
- Mechanically inclined;
- Comfortable working with a diverse group of people;
- Experience in trail maintenance and carpentry;
- Have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and experience towing a trailer;
- If hired applicant will be required to get a background check
Compensation: $17-$20 per hour DOE, 30 hours per week, three seasons
Special consideration will go to applicants who live in neighborhoods along the Greenway, such as Valley, Olneyville, Hartford, Smith Hill, and Johnston.
Application Process: Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail to 27 Sims Ave. Providence, RI 02909. Accepting applications until March 31.
We expect to be posting for Junior and Senior ranger positions starting in Late April
The WRWC is a non- profit organization whose mission is to encourage support and promote the restoration and preservation of the watershed as an environmental, recreational, cultural and economic asset of the State of RI.